Game Empire Pasadena

Welcome to the Game Empire Pasadena Forums!

H-Hour Campaign and MidWar to continue Saturday July 15

This is where we discuss WWII gaming using the new Flames of War 4th Edition rules.

H-Hour Campaign and MidWar to continue Saturday July 15

Postby QuietGargoyle » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:35 pm

This Saturday I look forwards to continuing Scott's H-Hour Firestorm campaign with 1515pt LW forces, and also getting in a MidWar Desert game!

There are apparently several more T1 battles to be fought, so those nasty American paratroopers are going to get more chances to disturb the sleep of the German defenders with the Seize and Hold mission!

It would also be cool if the one German counterattack to Neuville-au-Plain could be successful so that we have a shot at recapturing Saint-Mere-Eglise next turn ....

Please see Scott's posts about how to make up lists for this and don't worry if you don't have all the troops, myself, Scott and others will be bringing extra Amis and Krauts!
QuietGargoyle

Re: H-Hour Campaign and MidWar to continue Saturday July 15

Postby KevinM » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi I would enjoy getting in some action! I need significant loaner armies though as I have zero germans and really no painted American Infantry. My first choice would be German because I boldly declared that at lunch last week, but happy to play Americans too.
KevinM

Postby drec » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:40 pm

The Air Assault on Normandy will continue! Battles 1, 5, 6 and 7 are open to play. If we have more than 4 games played, doubling up is ok.= but we want to play non-played battles first.

We will assemble soon after 10am when commanders (US=Richard, German=Christian) will choose battles and assign sub-commanders. As before I will bring extra US and German and can play or stand out to keep things matched up. If you want to be flexible and bring both a US and German force you may. If you plan on participating it would be great if you want to post here to give everyone an idea of who is playing what side.

I have had some time to make a few tweaks to the campaign rules and firestorm troops based on our playtest last week. Wont't give all the surprise away but in genera German area defenses got a little boost.
drec

Postby QuietGargoyle » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:11 pm

I look forwards to tomorrow's battles and plan to bring extra troops for both the Americans and Germans! Go ahead and make up 1515pt lists and let me know what you need!

Cheers
QuietGargoyle

Postby Richard » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:54 pm

Ok you U.S. Player boots on the ground at 10:30 we need to send these Kraut's to there just rewards, I count Myself Andrew and Igor, do we have any other Allies out there, let me know if your playing the U.S side and I'll see you get a chance to send the krauts' on there way! :D
Richard

Postby QuietGargoyle » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:21 am

The H-Hour campaign was very popular on Saturday with 5 battles being fought and 11 players attending. Thanks to Scott for organizing a satisfying play experience where everyone's battles ended up contributing to the outcome!

All of these battles were fought to finish up Turn 1, the initial assaults conducted during the night hours and day of June 6, 1944. As such at least 3 of these battles were fought in total darkness as the air-dropped parachute units made determined and largely successful attacks against their objectives.

Andrew's Paratroopers are holding off a last ditch counterattack by Lou's Germans and succeeding in winning the important bridge at La Barquette with an 8-1 victory. This was Andrew's second game attacking this area during Turn 1 as last week his forces were turned back with a 2-7 loss. The combined results from both battles gave the Allies the necessary 2 point margin to take this important objective!

In my battle I faced Igor's parachutists who attacked the bridge over the Merderet at La Fiere in the dead of the night.

I placed my objective in the heavily fortified Southern sector of the map and so Igor chose a central and Northern location for his two objectives, of which he later removed the central one. I deployed two reinforced Grenadier platoons on the table, a Luftwaffe Assault AA Battery in the woods in the middle, and the HQ amongst the South sector defenders to help wake up my pinned units.Thanks to the Area defences, I had a total of 5 MG Nests, 6 Minefields and 2 Barbed Wire obstacles on the board as well. Igor placed his Pathfinder on the far Northern edge hoping to filter through the hedgerows and overwhelm my defences!
On Turn 1 his assaulting force ended up being split as one reinforced platoon arrived to attack in the North-East corner with the hedgerows and the other had to arrive in the South-East corner. His Southern force advanced but was immediately fired upon by HMG nests and Grenadier Machine guns and mortars.
Igor's Southern platoon advanced into the cover of my ruined former HQ building (some partisans had evidently passed its co-ordinates along to the Allied bombers). My Machine-guns and nests opened up on the Amis and succeeding in pinning them down for 3 turns.
By Turn 3 a confusing see-saw battle was taking place in the Southern sector as my StuG G arrived in the South-West and set about machine-gunning his 3rd platoon which had just arrived in the South-East. Unfortunately the Assault Guns were followed onto the map by Igor's 4th platoon and for some reason my Grenadiers from reserve decided to arrive in the same location!

Although my machine guns and mortars caused casualties I was unable to prevent the reinforcing Grenadiers from being surrounded, assaulted and squeezed into surrender by the implacable Paras!

My only consolation was that the battles in the Southern sector were being fought outside my defences far from the objective, however in the North Igor's 1st platoon was steadily rolling up the defending Grenadier platoon. During the night it is extremely difficult to stop assaulting veteran troops with defensive fire as they are only hit on 5s or 6s when attacking with the cover of the crop fields! I was forced to redeploy most of the Grenadier platoon inside the Southern defences northwards across the bridge...

My redeployment was the cue for Igor's 2nd Platoon to finally unpin and break into my southern defences, albeit at great cost. Although their first assault was repelled I was too weak to wipe them out and so Turn 7 finished with the American dug into the middle of my position contesting the objective.
In the North, however, Igor had completely annihilated both the initial defenders and my counterattack, ending up in sole possession of that objective by Turn 7! It was a well-deserved 8-1 victory for Igor whose forces, although taking heavy losses, nevertheless only lost one mortar platoon.
QuietGargoyle

Return to Flames of War 4th Edition