Game Empire Pasadena

Welcome to the Game Empire Pasadena Forums!

Firestorm Red Thunderbattle

Where we diiscuss Team Yankee, the "Cold War Gets Hot" miniatures game which is a variant of Flames of War.

Firestorm Red Thunderbattle

Postby BruceBoyer » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:11 pm

Christian's MR troops took on my KG Steiner in a hasty assault on 9-11.The battle was concluded after three turns as we got a late start and it was aft 10PM. As neither side had 'won' how, if at all is victory determined?
My Panzertruppes and Grens had held on and with darkness approaching looked to push and take an objective.
We had lost a bailed Gepard that ran w it's team mate; a single Tornado and the Hauptman's M113 ( but not him).So Germans down 7 pts.
Sovs had lost 22 BMPs with only two BMP1s alive and a Gopher. Down about 20 pts and no AT assets except twio Hinds, in the dark...
The remaining Sov MR troops with ( as none not yet arrived) two Hinds some Shilkas and 122s would have to hold two objectives against;
Our SEVEN M48s/Leop Is; M109 full ;MLRS three Tornados; two full strength Gren Plts w command and a Fuch cmdr ( still in reserved two Fuch Plts and 3 Leop Is . AT NIGHT! RPGs pinned firing DF at Night are at best a 6 to hit, crop fields make that a 7. They only hit on a 6 in asslt while Germans are all 4+. I don't see how we could be stopped.
BruceBoyer

Re: Firestorm Red Thunderbattle

Postby igorio » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:07 am

The new missions documents are pretty clear on what happens in games that run out of time:

VICTORY POINTS
Count the number of Units Destroyed, including HQ
Units, but not Independent Teams. Count core Units and
their Attachments separately, so if both are Destroyed, this
counts as two Units.
• Winner lost 0 Units: Winner 6 VP, Loser 1 VP
• Winner lost 1 Units: Winner 5 VP, Loser 2 VP
• Winner lost 2+ Units: Winner 4 VP, Loser 3 VP
Both players lose a game that runs out of time. If neither
player won, both players treat their opponent was the
winner and gain Victory Points as the Loser.

Based on your report, looks like a 3-3 Draw.
igorio

Postby QuietGargoyle » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:56 am

Indeed on Monday evening I played a second Red Thunder Firestorm game, this time using my Soviet BMP Motorised Rifle Battalion against Bruce's West Germans. After I failed to roll initiative in order to choose an attack, Bruce was able to place a Battle Arrow on the map to counterattack against the remaining Soviet bridgehead in Central Germany in Hof (I believe).

We ended up with the Hasty Attack mission from the Red Thunder Campaign table and I chose to start with 3 BMP companies (with transport attachments), the Scouts and my Gopher SAM unit. In delayed reserves were my Helicopters, three artillery units and the Shilkas.

For some reason I let Bruce talk me into allowing him to field a weird hybrid Panzergrenadier Zug layout with 4x MG3 teams and 2x Milan teams and no M113 tracks. He had a company of three of these zugs, plus a small Fuchs company of two units, and a Leopard 1 Panzer Kompanie represented by 105mm armed M48 Pattons.

His Support was substantial, consisting of a batterie of LARS Raketenwerfers, a batterie of M109G Panzerartillerie, a couple of Gepard Flakpanzers, and a full Tornado Strike Flight.
Since Bruce doesn't have the BF Leopard book, just the Panzertruppen supplement, I have helpfully included an image from "Leopard" of the Raketenwerfer batterie he fielded, which looked suspiciously like Soviet Hail Grad launchers...

Above is what the nasty Gepard looks like which to me doesn't resemble a Shilka at all and features 3 front armour, not 9! ;)

The Germans insisted on rolling on the Time of Day table for the mission and we ended up playing at Dusk, which meant that the first few turns would be daylight before darkness fell.

Being on the defence was not in the battle order plan for my Motorised Infanty force, so I used the Scout platoon to grab a whole bunch of no-man's land and set up a line of BMPs with the scouts behind the roadway hedges. The idea was to harass his attack preparations with a view to delay any "hasty" attack on the part of the Germans. In ambush was a large Motorised Rifle Company with 7x AK74, 6xRPG and 2xLMG teams who were going to wait to see where the German attack materialized before being committed.

On Turn 1 the German's air force showed up, in the form of a flight of A-10s that had been hastily diverted to the Germans after their own Tornados were sidelined. Perhaps the cheque to Panavia for their maintenance kit had bounced? Nevertheless, the A-10s used the deadly KB444 bomblets to great effect against my SAM battery and BMPs in the rear woods, destroying one Gopher and three BMPs after all my AA fire whiffed.

Bruce also began pounding the BMP line against the hedges with his artillery, who had started on board, and managed to bag a couple of BMPs. Nevertheless, none of his troops moved up except the sole infantry unit of his Fuchs HQ which occupied the centre farmhouse.

During the next two turns a firefight developed between the BMPs on the hedge row and Bruce's Germans in the hills. Despite advancing to try to take out his observation track the BMPs got distinctly the worst of this exchange: in short order I was having to test with both the Scouts and the BMPs! Nevertheless I did bag his Gepard unit which decided to leave the battlefield after having one get bailed out.

On the right my BMP-1 unit advanced to further harass the still stationary Germans. They got caught under another cluster bomblet airstrike template on Turn 2 and eventually died to M-48 Patton fire on the next Turn. Even on turn 3 I still had not deployed my ambush as no attack had yet developed against my lines.

After 3 hours of play we decided to call the game over. At the time we came to a mutual agreement it was a draw. Apparently the West German commander made some excuse to his Higher Command about how they couldn't be stopped but I doubt they were impressed! The fact remains that the objectives were still in Soviet hands and I had plenty of untouched healthy units with which to defend them. Since I lost three units and Bruce just one it would be scored as a 1-3 draw...
QuietGargoyle

Postby BruceBoyer » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:29 pm

High command was well pleased with the results; if we could do that mount of damage in three turns, now w the advantage we held and darkness we would be able to defeat the remaining Sov MR DI at night, in 5+ turns. RPGs at night are a 6 to hit, 7 if our vehicles are in a conc field. MR troops are AR, so pinned ROF is only 1 so add night, they need a 5, conc makes 6. You will not get the hits in def fire and WGs hit on 4+. DI dismounts will also suffer from prep fire as the WGs have TIs and 16" range on all inf and APC weapons.

As we held the field we repaired the damaged Gepard and rallied the crew of the one that ran. A replacement M113 was brought up so our force back to full strength, the blown up M113 and a Tornado being our only actual destroyed teams. The Luftwaffe assured us of four Tornados next time.
Our MLRS were so well camouflaged that the Sovs though they were Grads! The idea is that they think it is their own troops firing on them, so they call off their Grads!
BruceBoyer

Return to Team Yankee