Game Empire Pasadena

Welcome to the Game Empire Pasadena Forums!

FoW Q2 Tournament. BOHICA 2017! June 24th

This is where we discuss WWII gaming using the new Flames of War 4th Edition rules.

FoW Q2 Tournament. BOHICA 2017! June 24th

Postby Game Empire Chad » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:47 pm

On yer feet Maggots!! Get ready to take the tables June 24, 2017 10am when Game Empire hosts our 2nd Quarter FoW tournament.

1515 Late War point lists
v4 rules
3 rounds, Swiss pairings.
participants will need 2 copies of their lists. One for the TO. One for the opponents to view.

Doors open 9:30
Registration closes, and pairings 10:30
Round One 10:45 - 1:15
Lunch break 1:15 - 2
Round Two 2:00 - 4:30
Round Three 4:45 - 7:15
Awards and Wrap up 7:30

More info to follow.
Game Empire Chad
Game Store Overlord

Re: FoW Q2 Tournament. BOHICA 2017! June 24th

Postby igorio » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:02 am

Looking forward to it!
igorio

Postby drec » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:55 pm

Oh great! I like this quarterly occurrence. Consider me signed up.
drec

Postby Richard » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:14 pm

you know I'll be there although 1515 is really small armies, unless one runs infantry, but not I!
Richard

Postby KevinM » Tue May 02, 2017 5:17 pm

This sounds great! Looking forward to it and I like the smaller points totals. More maneuver and tough list making decisions.
KevinM

Postby troyphoto » Mon May 08, 2017 3:47 pm

Any limit on which books to pull lists from?

ANY Late War?

Hardcovers only?

Etc?

PS: cross posted to the SC Foes Email List
troyphoto

Postby QuietGargoyle » Mon May 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Any limit on which books to pull lists from?

Only current books are legal, so those that had been supplanted by a subesquent compilation are not.

ANY Late War?

Yep!

Hardcovers only?

Nope

Etc?

Any CURRENT legal Late-War V4 lists are eligible. The eligible hard-cover books are listed in the V4 Special Rules booklet. Plus, the PDFs on Forces of War not marked as "(V3)" and Digital Exclusive lists from Nachtjager and Berlin are eligible. The Berlin Digital Exclusive isn't yet available, but should be shortly: BattleFront's Greg reported that he had received instructions from Wayne and is working on it.
QuietGargoyle

Postby QuietGargoyle » Mon May 29, 2017 9:09 pm

Deadline for list submission for the BOHICA 2017! tournament will be one week before, June 17th, 2017.

Please email the list to ge.v4fow@gmail.com no later than the deadline! It will be replied to with a confirmation and finalized copy of the tournament rules.

After extensive discussions with colleagues I have decided to clarify the procedure for using the More MIssions PDF to select the missions, and introduce an element to ensure that no player will play the same mission twice during the course of the day.

After greeting your opponent, exchanging lists and coming to agreement on how the table's terrain is to be treated, each player will secretly choose a Battle Plan for their force which will apply for the current round. That choice will be marked on each player's scoresheet, and will be revealed to the opponent simultaneously. After reference to the Battle Plans matrix it will be necessary to finalize which mission is to be played from either the Meeting Engagements, Mobile Battles, or Defensive Battles sub-table. The die roll for Mission choice will be made by the Tournament Organizer each round by drawing a chit from a bag labelled "1-2", "3-4" or "5-6"

This die roll will apply for all matches in the current round! Furthermore, the chit will not be returned to the bag! Each match will then use the announced "die roll" on the sub-table of the Battle Plans matrix which corresponds to Battle Plan choices of the two contestants for that match.

The Battle Plans choices will be made within the first five minutes of the round: the tournament organizer will attempt to ensure that all players have completed their choice of Battle Plans before announcing the chit draw. If a match starts late due to one player's absence the late player will have to make their Battle Plan choice without knowledge of the chit draw results.
QuietGargoyle

Postby igorio » Wed May 31, 2017 2:41 pm

This makes sense to me, but then again, I helped to come up with it. Maybe you'd like to provide an example?
igorio

Postby QuietGargoyle » Wed May 31, 2017 4:41 pm

igorio wrote:This makes sense to me, but then again, I helped to come up with it. Maybe you'd like to provide an example?

Certainly!

Let's say that Igor is selected to play Christian on round two and discovers that his Guards Armoured Squadron is up against a Hero Strelkovy Batalon with a horde of fearless infantry and guns but no tanks.

"My only chance is to force or fool him into attacking me, hopefully with him having reserves and no ambush" he thinks. Looking at the Battle Plans, he sees that if he picks a "Prepared Attack" or "Hasty Attack" Battle Plan and Christian chooses "Defend" Battle Plan, he will have to attack in either a Mobile Battle or a Defensive Battle and Christian will likely get an ambush even if he does have to get reserves. However, if he too picks "Defend" Battle Plan then it will be a Meeting Engagement and nobody will get an ambush. Furthermore, since during the first round the TO drew a "5-6" chit, the only two Meeting Engagement choices will be Dust Up or Encounter, both of which will have Delayed Reserves and an opportunity to force infantry into the open to attack.

Christian thinks "How do I get this tank army to defend so that he only gets one armored unit on board with the Deep Reserves rule, or otherwise has to put forces in delayed reserves?" Christian sees that if he picks a "Hasty Attack" Battle Plan he will either be attacking in a Mobile Battle or it will be a Meeting Engagement mission.

Igor picks "Defend" and Christian picks "Hasty Attack". Christian has to attack in a Mobile Battle, the TO draws the "1-2" chit and they are playing the Breakthrough Mission, with Christian's infantry force attacking Igor's tanks. Both players got what they wanted, even if it wasn't what they really needed!
QuietGargoyle

Next

Return to Flames of War 4th Edition