Game Empire Pasadena

Welcome to the Game Empire Pasadena Forums!

One clix to rule them all!!!

The place to talk about new and upcoming releases.

One clix to rule them all!!!

Postby Arthur » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:03 pm

http://wizkidsgames.com/blog/2011/01/18 ... -them-all/

So, I wonder what this means for the GW license? I have hundreds of their stuff that I never got around to painting/assembling for a game...hopefully it doesn't mean the end of that...
Arthur

Re: One clix to rule them all!!!

Postby Game Empire Chuck » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:12 pm

I am truly impressed. This summer we will also see the release of the Star Trek clix games. Neca is really taking Wizkids is a great new direction.
"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Captain Kirk - "Shore Leave"

Check out my gaming blog at http://theinsightfulgamer.wordpress.com
Game Empire Chuck
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby junior » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:28 am

Arthur wrote:http://wizkidsgames.com/blog/2011/01/18/two-games-to-rule-them-all/

So, I wonder what this means for the GW license? I have hundreds of their stuff that I never got around to painting/assembling for a game...hopefully it doesn't mean the end of that...

It's a good question. It might depend on who exactly GW licensed their game with. My understanding is that there are two seperate licenses that need to be taken into account, and both are more or less completely independent from the other.

The first, obviously, is the license by the Tolkien estate (probably through his son, Christopher). This license basically covers anything that appears in the books.

The second is the New Line Cinema license. This license covers anything that appears in the films, but does not cover anything that only appears in the books. And from what I've seen in the past it's completely independent from the license issued by the Tolkien estate. From what I understand it is entirely possible to have two similar Lord of the Rings games released by different manufacturers, both with completely legal "exclusive" licenses. One of the licenses would be issued by the Tolkien estate, and the other would be granted by New Line Cinemas.

GW obviously contracted with New Line Cinemas. The artwork from the films is all over the books. What is less certain is whether or not they contracted with the Tolkiens. If they didn't, then WizKids may have done so, which would mean that GW's license remains unaltered.

But I don't know if that's the case.
"Heroes are made in America."
-- Captain America, The First Avenger
junior

Postby Game Empire Chuck » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:46 am

junior wrote:GW obviously contracted with New Line Cinemas. The artwork from the films is all over the books. What is less certain is whether or not they contracted with the Tolkiens. If they didn't, then WizKids may have done so, which would mean that GW's license remains unaltered.

That's not quite clear, though, because GW has release a lot of figs that were in the books and not in the movies. My understanding is that the GW license covers everything in the books as well. I'll talk to our GW sales rep and see what he knows.
"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Captain Kirk - "Shore Leave"

Check out my gaming blog at http://theinsightfulgamer.wordpress.com
Game Empire Chuck
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby junior » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:25 pm

It looks like my info was a little off.

The New Line Cinema rights apparently cover everything from the three books (not sure about The Hobbit) along with the films. So Glorfindel is still allowed by New Line Cinema's license even though he was replaced by Arwen in the film.

I'm not sure whether Christopher Tolkien is licensing anything. But there's another outfit called 'Tolkien Enterprises', which is a division of the Saul Zaenz company. They got rights from United Artists, who purchased the rights from Tolkien back in the '60s - probably for the Bakshi films. I don't know for certain, but it's possible that unlike New Line Cinema, their rights may extend to everything Middle-Earth related that Tolkien published. So it's possible that their license includes items from 'The Silmarillion'. Their license wouldn't cover things that are unique to the New Line Cinema films, however (such as the elves at Helms Deep).

And another possibility is that GW's license only extends to unpainted miniatures. Given the fact that not all miniatures are used for wargaming, it's possible that such an omission was both present and intentional.

Probably still best to talk to the GW rep for clarification, though.
"Heroes are made in America."
-- Captain America, The First Avenger
junior

Postby Arthur » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:33 pm

Yes, I remember reading about the 2 different licenses as well, one for the movie and another for the Tolkien estates for the other books. I believe they were able to make some amendments since Peter Jackson is now making the Hobbit movie.

I'm inclined to think WK has the movie license, since it's through Warner (who now owns New Line), and the use of the movie logo.

I'm thinking that maybe GW's license is not exclusive, since sabretooth was releasing the combat hex minis concurrent with the GW LOTR SBG. But then, I recall sabretooth was owned or partially owned by GW?
Arthur

Return to News and Rumors