Game Empire Pasadena

Welcome to the Game Empire Pasadena Forums!

Wow, Tron was even better the second time

The place for discussing everything that isn't gaming.

Wow, Tron was even better the second time

Postby Game Empire Chuck » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:27 am

I was a huge fan of he original Tron movie. I loved the religious imagery and the amazing technology. Tron was probably one of the first 4 DVD's I ever bought. I was worried that the sequel would be a visual extravaganza, but that it would have a lame plot (like Avatar). Thankfully I was wrong. The first time I saw it, the movie visually and musically blew me away, and the plot was excellent. But I wanted to see it again so I could focus more on the plot, so I saw it again yesterday. With my limited free time and the cost of seeing a 3D movie, I haven't paid to see a movie twice at the theater since Mortal Kombat, so you can tell I really liked the new Tron movie.

Wow, its was a LOT better the second time, in every way. Having seen it before, I was able to absorb all of it much better. The plot is definitely complex, and most people I talk to seem to have missed almost all of the imagery. That's a shame, because it's a very powerful story on many levels. If you haven't seen it, I suggest you do. Don't wait for this to come out on DVD. See it in 3D with a theater sound system. I've seen it twice at the Arclight in Pasadena, and my sons said it was better there than at the Americana.
Chuck
"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Captain Kirk - "Shore Leave"

Check out my gaming blog at http://theinsightfulgamer.wordpress.com
Game Empire Chuck
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Re: Wow, Tron was even better the second time

Postby Arthur » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:23 am

wait... are you joking about seeing Mortal Kombat the movie twice in the theaters?

Although who am I to talk, I eagerly went to see that and MK2 on the opening nights...
Arthur

Postby Game Empire Chuck » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:51 am

You gotta understand that I never really played video games until one night, we were at a pizza place waiting to see a concert and I dropped a quarter into a Mk game. I was immediately hooked and the next day I bought a Sega Genesis just so I could play MK at home. I thought the movie really captured the vibe of the video game - "It's not about death, but life". Plus, the soundtrack was amazing. I know it's nerdy, but hey, I quit being a lawyer to open a game store, so I may be the King of the Nerds!
Chuck

p.s. I died and went to Heaven when they released the MK/DC Edition and I could play MK as Batman!!! :D

Game Empire Chuck
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby Arthur » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:44 pm

Chuck,
I always admire the geek in you. I recall a few months ago overhearing you talk about making progress in FF7. I thought I was geek about catching up with older games from the past 5 years, but you outdo even me.

Do you play DC vs MK on 360 or Ps3? I have it on Ps3 and am always looking for other people to play online (I'm not that great at it so I don't care for the usual crowds there).

Arthur
Arthur

Postby Game Empire Chuck » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:24 pm

I have it on a 360. If you think that's geeky, my latest endeavor is to finally finish Baldur's Gate. I originally started playing when it first came out in 1999, but never finished (I tend to be a completist in that I explore every part of a map before moving on, which makes for a very slow game). I just got a new laptop and restarted the game about 2 weeks ago. I figure it will take me about a year to finish the basic game, and then I'll think about the expansions!
Chuck

Game Empire Chuck
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby Game Empire Chuck » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:24 pm

Oh, and one more thing. FF7 had an amazing ending and I'm glad I finished it.

Game Empire Chuck
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby Michael Wong » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:37 pm

WOW! I finished Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 when I got a new computer 2.5 years ago, AND I thought I was LATE playing that game! :shock: Chuck, you got me BEAT! (BG2 is a LOT better than BG1, by the way!)

I started Icewind Dale shortly after but never managed to finish it. Now working on PS3 games.

Michael
Michael Wong

Postby Game Empire Chuck » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:10 pm

According to Gamespot.com, BG is still one of the most highly rated pc games ever. Now you have me curious about BG2:

Game Empire Chuck
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby Arthur » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:21 pm

BG is prolly one of the few games I've ever played more than once (in fact it's the only one I can think of right now). The first time I finished it I'll admit I had to cheat to win the last battle. I replayed it a few years later with the expansion (takes of the sword coast I think) and was finally able to beat the final fight -- so i would recommend getting that sooner or later.

It's certainly not necessary but since you level up more and get more magic loot it's a little easier, though for that reason they also ramp up the difficulty of the last fight a little more if you have the expansion installed.

I also highly recommend BG2. It's an awesome epic game, even more so than BG1. There's a fan mod out there that converts all the BG1 game assets and puts them into the BG2 engine so you can play a complete BG1+BG2 together (since BG2 has much more racial/class options and a host of other goodies). I'm planning to return to it someday and do it that way.
Arthur

Return to The Lounge