Game Empire Pasadena

Welcome to the Game Empire Pasadena Forums!

I am loving the Clone Wars TV Series

The place for discussing everything that isn't gaming.

I am loving the Clone Wars TV Series

Postby Game Empire Chuck » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:10 am

I just got Season 1 of the Clone Wars tv series on Netflix, and I am amazed. Wow, this is a LOT better than I was expecting, and I'm told that season 1 isn't that good compared to season 2. All I know is that so far I think the Clone Wars creates really fun and authentic bite-sized episodes of Star Wars. What do you think?
This really makes me want to play my Star Wars minis.
Chuck
"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Captain Kirk - "Shore Leave"

Check out my gaming blog at http://theinsightfulgamer.wordpress.com
Game Empire Chuck
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Re: I am loving the Clone Wars TV Series

Postby twomas » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:29 pm

My son and I watch this every friday. He loves the show. He is just 3 years old also. Much better way to introduce him into the Star Wars series.
twomas

Postby Bahkara » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:42 pm

I watch it when I can. Some episodes are better than others. I still enjoy the original 5minute episodes more though
Adam

"Success is not final,
failure is not fatal; it is
the courage to continue that counts."
- Winston Churchill
Bahkara

Postby Game Empire Chris » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:10 am

Yea I kinda liked the shorts better than the full episodes. It's nice to see some small characters flushed out however.
No, no it doesn't matter, it just dies.
Game Empire Chris

Postby Sharkmoose » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:17 pm

twomas wrote:My son and I watch this every friday. He loves the show. He is just 3 years old also. Much better way to introduce him into the Star Wars series.

My son, (who is 4.5 years old), loved the Starwars movies and thinks Dark Vader (what he calls Darth...) is the best thing since hot pop-tarts covered with vanilla ice-cream. You think he would like Clone Wars? It's animated, right?

Best,
Sharkmoose
Sharkmoose

Postby Game Empire Chuck » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:14 am

It's 3D animation, a few levels below the quality of Toy Story. I really enjoy the stories, the animation is great, the music is dramatic, but the real fun is the character development. Because it's a TV series, there is much more character development, especially of minor characters like individual clones and droids. Each show starts with a little lesson statement and then the show is about that statement.

I think it would be perfect for kids, but it isn't childish. In fact, there are some really cold blooded scenes. For example, in one episode a bunch of clones have had their ship destroyed and they are floating around in space in escape pods hoping to be rescued. The droids are sent out to "pop" the pods by cutting them open so there won't be any survivors. The droids engage in humorous chit chat and humming tunes while they kill the clones, as if they were picking up garbage. This surprised me as it seemed very harsh for a kid's cartoon. In my opinion, the TV show is much more adult than movie Episode 1, which had a lot of clown scenes with Jar Jar Binks. I highly recommend the Clone Wars.
Chuck

Game Empire Chuck
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Postby twomas » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:02 pm

Sharkmoose wrote:My son, (who is 4.5 years old), loved the Starwars movies and thinks Dark Vader (what he calls Darth...) is the best thing since hot pop-tarts covered with vanilla ice-cream. You think he would like Clone Wars? It's animated, right?

Best,
Sharkmoose

Yes, i would think he is going to like it. No Darth for him in this one, just plain ole Anakin. But if you explain to him that is Darth before the suit, then he might like it more. My daughter (4yrs) always asks me how Anakin turns bad and becomes Darth Vader... ha. My kids watch alot of stuff like that with me though...(Batman:Brave and Bold, Ben-10, Vultron...etc).
twomas

Postby Sgtpjbarker » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:45 am

We picked up the series after I read Chuck's post and have been really enjoying it. I have two boys 6 and 8, they watch it with me as our special, "we all finished our homework" treat at the end of the day. I really like the lesson idea at the beginning and it is much more enjoyable for me because it is a serial. My wife made the comment that Lucas had the idea for Star Wars based on his watching old serials as a kid, sounds like he might be planting some seeds?

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, great leverage in my house and fun for me too?

Paul J
Sgtpjbarker

Postby Game Empire Chuck » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:13 am

Hi Paul,
I'm glad you're enjoying it as much as me. In fact, I've watched the first disc twice and liked it even more the second time, so I'm going to stop netflixing it and just buy the discs so I can watch them whenever I want.
Chuck

Game Empire Chuck
The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese

Return to The Lounge