Game Empire Pasadena

Welcome to the Game Empire Pasadena Forums!

Macabre Tales

Check here for all the latest RPG happenings.

Macabre Tales

Postby Backflash1968 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:40 pm

Within the next week or so, I should be getting my hands on an RPG called Macabre Tales.

It is a game of Lovecraftian horror. But only based upon the works of Lovecraft himself. As the writer of the game is a purist in that sense. Focusing on Weird Tales as a style of fiction.

The game also is a bit of a departure in the fact that it doesn't use dice. But instead, it uses dominos at the heart of its resolution mechanics.

Well I bought a couple of sets of dominos specifically for this game. Enough sets to actually play it.So I'll be ready when I actually have the book in hand. It's just a matter of a short wait, until I have it.

In the meantime, the author was very kind and sent me free of charge a PDF version of the book. That I have gotten to look over. And which I can print some character sheets from. in preparation to play.

The main focus of this game is one on one play. A GM and one player. However, it does have rules to expand to multiple players as well. So it covers everything in a rather small book.

When it is time to play, I'll be supplying the dominos and the character sheets.

So if anyone is interested, please post to this thread. So we can figure out a good day to play.
Backflash1968

Re: Macabre Tales

Postby Backflash1968 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Okay, my book arrived today. So I'm ready to do this.

Anyone interested, please post to this thread.
Backflash1968

Postby goldb328 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:45 am

I know Keeva has been running games lately. He makes all his plans through the meetup site.
Our fantastic offers for free C4090-451 dumps and study Testking prepare you well for the final
goldb328

Postby Backflash1968 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:58 pm

Macabre Tales is made primarily for one on one gaming. One player, and the Narrator.

But there are rules for including more than one player.

To include more than one player, each additional player needs to have their own set and separate pools of dominos.

To make a proper set of dominos to play. A player needs to have two sets of double six dominos. One complete set, and one with all of the doubles and blanks removed. Then the remaining dominos from the second set mixed with the first.

In play, a player draws up a hand of 3 dominos. And after having spent one or more for a check, they draw back up to a hand of three.

Obviously with dominos, it takes a bit of strategy. You actually don't want to spend all of your best dominos right off the bat. So you have to choose carefully which checks you want to spend what on. With the onus being on whatever best makes the story progress.

The main goal of Macabre Tales is the story. The player and Narrator are in a constant collaborative interchange to tell a good story. That's the whole point of the game. To tell a good yarn.
Backflash1968

Return to Role-Playing Games